Sunday, April 12, 2009

BRIAN'S 1/2 MARATHON


Well, I'm behind a week, but I wanted to post about my amazing husband who ran his third 1/2 marathon last week. At the beginning of the year, Brian set a goal to run four ½ marathons this year. He had already run his first ½ in November 2008. But in January he ran his first of the year in St. George. It was perfect, beautiful weather. Saturday April 4th he ran the Provo half. We went to Provo Friday night. The boys stayed with Marcus and Sammy stayed with Arrie. The kids had been wanting to spend time with cousins for a long time. Thanks Frances and Lydia, they had a great time even though it was so short. Brian, Kylee, and I stayed at a hotel in Provo so Brian could get a good night sleep. But, Kylee had other plans so it wasn’t a great night sleep.
The race started at 8:00 a.m. BRRR…. Cold is the word for the morning. It was windy and snowy. However, the roads were clear so that helped. I dropped off Brian and hurried to Lydia’s so I could pick up the kids. Frances came too and we went to mile 4 to cheer Brian on. (Thanks again Franny for coming. It meant so much to both Brian and I and it was so fun to have you there.) After he passed we headed to mile 5 to cheer him on again. Mile 5 was at a park so the kids played and we waited for Brian to loop around because it was also mile 10. After that we zoomed over to the finish and cheered him on. He finished the race in 1 hour and 47 minutes. It was faster than his first marathon, but not quite as fast as his second.

It was a tough race mentally and physically. He had never run in such cold weather before. Most of his training was done on a treadmill which is different than running on the road. But even though this was his most difficult race he did so good. He paid for it though. He was very sore. Brian you did great though. Way to go. You ran strong.


10 comments:

Kim said...

I'm not sure why any one would want to run other than if you're being chased. But in the cold? Crazy! Congrats on finishing in great time.

Baldwincrew-blog said...

You did awesome Brian. Gald I could be there to cheer you on. Congrats another one under your belt.

Nielsen clique said...

Way to go Brian!

Lydia said...

It was fun to see you to bad it was a crazy weekend and I couldn't visit very much. I wish the weather had been better for Brian we just can't keep nice weather down here.

Allie's Antics said...

Congratulations on your race! What a supportive wife you are. Looked way too cold for me!

Horsley News said...

Way to go Brian. I'm sorry we didn't get to see any of you. I hope your Easter was good.
Have a great week
Love MOM

Janice {Run Far} said...

Awesome. Way to go Brian. Franny and Amberly ran that one last year and they said it was super hard. Way to run strong. My next full is in 11 days, I am flying Franny out to be with me and take care of the kids cause Greg has a golf thing. LOL- I miss her that much. I guess you guys are doing the bear lake 1/2..... I am running Utah Valley full marathon that same day.

Horsley News said...

Way to go Brian!

Is Braden taller than Sam? How much longer till Logan catches her?

JOhn

Lindy said...

Congrats to Brian! Sounds like a fun running goal to have.

Angie said...

Brrrr... Congrats though. I have an odd "awe" for people who run that far... yet at the same time I agree with the first comment, why would you run that far and fast unless you were being chased by something... like a big dog... only to be sore and "pay for it" the next week??????? Good job Brian!