Brian has wanted me to run a 1/2 marathon since last Fall. I started training for one, but then my IT band gave me too much trouble so I quit training. He has talked me into running the Bear Lake 1/2 marathon June 13th. I have been babying my knee, by taking ibuprofin, icing it a couple of days, and stretching it every day. So far it has been working. My IT band hasn't given me any trouble. However, a couple of weeks ago just before I started training, I strained the back of my knee. It hasn't given me trouble when I run, but I have to ice it a couple of times a day because it feels swollen.
Yesterday, was my first long run. I ran 6 miles. The first couple of miles were the hardest, but the rest of the run wasn't too bad. The most amazing thing about my run is that Brian ran with me. Why is that so amazing? The day before he had run his long run which was 7 miles. He hadn't been planning to run, but he knew my run would be challenging for me. How awesome is that. He is so supportive and I really appreciated that he would run with me. I kept asking if he was doing o.k. and saying that he could cut it short and go home, but he said he was fine and kept with me. Of course I run so much slower than him, that it was probably like a fast walk to him. Your the best Brian, love ya.
Now, I know many of you who don't run are thinking how dumb is she to put herself through that. I know what your thinking because I used to think it myself before I started running. But once you get started it gets in your blood. It's almost addicting. Maybe it is more the satisfying feeling to set a goal and achieve it. Maybe it is challenging oneself and finding what we are really made of. So many times I back away from challenges because it hurts or it is hard, but like running if I push through it, work hard, and surround myself with support I am amazed at what I can really do. I am more than I realize. I change and I am not the same, but hopefully better.
It doesn't really matter what the challenge is that we give ourselves. Sometimes we don't even give ourself a challenge, the challenge is part of the trials of life. But, even if we choose to challenge ourselves in some area it is different for all of us. For example, my sister-in-law is writing a novel. She has been working at this for a couple of years. This is something I would really struggle with, because I don't feel like I have much ability in that area at all. But that challenge is giving her something to shoot for, to grow in. For some who are not as social, maybe the challenge is to be more friendly. Maybe our challenge is....well I could go on and on. My point is to set goals and improve ourselves in what ever we feel is important for us. We will grow and become more than we ever thought we could.
(This is my sister, RaeAnn and I running our first 5k)
8 comments:
Great post. You are such an inspiration. Thanks for the uplifting words. I am so proud of you for sticking to your guns and wanting to finish something you started. You can do it.
Thanks for the inspiration. I think it is great that all of you are runners. It's great to set a goal and meet it.
love ya alot.
MOM
Yes, very inspirational. Thanks. Now let's just see if I can do it.
That is a great way to explain why you all like to run but I'll work on other challenges. I hate to run.
As your neighbor, it's fun to see what running event you guys are training for. Even though we're not runners, we're always rooting for you! I say, if you love something and it motivates and challenges you, DO IT! (My thing is hiking. :)
Have a great week!
You're great Jen! Keep up the training. It's very inspiring.
John
Jen...I love you. You are so powerful, and such an example. Keep it up. I wish I had the dedication to push through the pain with running. Right now I will push through the pain while I play volleyball. When it is time to hang it up running might be an option.
Glen
That was great! I wish running would get in my blood. :) I did look up that info for you on the Scandinavian Days fun run. They are both the Sat. before Memorial Day, the 10K is at 7:30 and the 5K is at 8 am. You can register online at http://www.scandinavianheritagefestival.com/images/funreg.pdf
Post a Comment